Sunday, January 29, 2012

Hooking the kids...with art

We are getting ready to start our next semester and the Revolutionary War.  Whenever you start a new unit, I think you need to HOOK them.  Find out what they know and what they are thinking and then...you have their interest.  I use a lot of art work to evoke feelings, share time period clothing/culture and give them a peek into the world of 1776.



I start by showing them some paintings and asking what do you notice? What do you wonder?

Then I ask a few questions like...what were the sides in the war?  Who were some of the key players? (show pictures of Ben Franklin, George Washington)  Were there any spies??? (James Armistead Lafayette)

I embedded a video clip from United Streaming too that shows events leading up to the war to give them a good introduction and preview into what is coming...

I end the powerpoint with the big idea: 
Throughout history, many people have fought to be free and govern themselves….

No comments:

Post a Comment